How to do a fishtail braid in a few simple steps!
How to Do a Fishtail Braid in a Few Simple Steps!
Fishtail Braids Only 'Look' Elaborate and Time Consuming but They Really Aren't!
Step 1: Brush your hair to remove tangles so it is easy to handle. Divide the hair you wish to braid into two large, even sections.
Step 2: Starting on whichever side you wish, grab strand of hair (Approximately 1/4th to 1/8th of an inch wide) from the outside of the first section. Pull it over across the top of the first section (The one you took it from) and add it under the second section on the other side. So, basically the strand is going over the first section and finishing under the second section.
3) Repeat on the opposite side, pulling a strand from the outside of the second section and pulling it across and adding it to the underside of the first section.
4) Keep repeating this step, pulling a hair from each section and crossing it over and adding it to the underside of the other section. Keep alternating back and forth pulling the strand from alternating sides. Repeat until you have completed braiding the full length of your hair.
5) Use an elastic to secure the end of your braid.
6) If you wish you can add an accessory such as a cute barrette, bow or headband to spice up your look.
- Fishtail braids can be done loose or tight depending on the look you want. Tight braids are easier for beginners.
-If your braid feels to tight use your fingers to gently massage it and loosen it up a bit.
-The skinnier the strands you use the more intricate the braid will look. It takes a bit more effort but the results will be very intricate looking.
- The fishtail braid looks great when it is slightly messy and undone. Run your hands up the length of the braid, going against it from tip to roots to give it a disheveled look. Tug a few strands out here and there for a casual and messy look.
-Doing a fishtail on damp hair will make for a more precise braid and give you a firmer grip.
-If you have really long her you can do many different things with fishtail braids such as pinning it across the top of your head or twisting it into a bun.