Five Tips To Protect and Maintain Colored Hair
Five Tips to Protect and Maintain Colored Hair
This Seasons Hottest Hair Color Is Crimson! Firey Locks, While Sexy, Can Fade fast...Make It Last!
1) Lather Up With Care- The golden rule of freshly colored hair is to wait at LEAST two days post-dye before you suds up. Washing too soon lifts the cuticle and causes the color to leak out. When you do finally lather up make sure to use shampoo and conditioner that is specially formulated for color-treated hair. It is much more mild and is free of harsh sulfates so that it won't strip your strands of their sexy shade.Try L'Oreal Vive Pro ColorVive Shampoo & Conditioner, 5$ each at most drugstores.
2) Opt For Dry- We already know that washing your hair daily can do more harm then good for your strands and this is especially true with colored hair. If your hair feels oily and you absolutely MUST shampoo daily then reach for a dry shampoo instead. It soaks up oil, leaves a clean and fresh scent and gives you a longer stretch between shampoos. I recommend TRESemme Fresh Start Strengthening Dry Shampoo, 4.99$ at most drugstores.
3) Glaze It- To refresh your color, don't reach for colored shampoos that say they will extend your color, as these can actually deposit too much pigment thus changing the actual tone of your hair. Instead, go for a clear glaze treatment once every four-six weeks. These can be done at your salon or at home and will leave your hair looking vibrant and super-shiny.. Try John Freida Luminous Color Glaze Clear Shine, $9.99, sold in most drugstores.
4) Protect From Rays- Harsh UV Rays from the sun can cause premature fading and discoloration not to mention the damage they can inflict to your hair. Use a spray on UV Protector to protect your strands from the suns rays anytime you plan on being out in the sun. Even better, if you plan on being out for extended periods like a day at the beach, wear a hat instead. I recommend Phyto Plage Protective Beach Spray 3.3 fl oz, 22$ online.
5) Cover Those Roots- Everyone hates those tell-tale roots peaking out but if its just a tiny bit of growth it may not be time for trip to the salon or a full kit just yet. Enter root concealing spray that temporarily conceals regrowth. This amazing spray camouflages roots and comes in a variety of shades to match almost any color, from platinum, to black, to red. It completely covers roots so no one will ever suspect that it isn't your natural shade. Try out Rita Hazan Root Concealer Touch Up Spray, $24, available at Sephora.com.
Follow these tips and you will have a just-colored look that lasts and lasts!